Thursday, June 26, 2008

Physical Therapy

I began working out on a more regular basis about 2 months ago. By more regular, that means 1 to 3 times per week. I used to work out every other day and am trying to build back up to that both physically and emotionally. I noticed a few weeks ago that some of my muscle groups had atrophied. This included my shoulder muscles and the strength in my right leg and hip. My other muscle groups: arms, abdomen, neck, etc. seem quite fine. I visited with my physical therapist yesterday. She took about 50 – 75 measurements on range of motion and strength. She’s been doing this for about 20 years and is excellent. She confirmed scientifically what I had been feeling physically and is now working on an exercise plan to strengthen areas in need of help. The question of how this happened will go unanswered. My guess is a combination of the lengths of my immobility (caused by the disease and treatments) and the chemo drugs.

What I’ve learned through all this is to not ignore persistent symptoms, even those that one can work around or are not that painful. If you need help and have the resources to get it, there’s no reason to put it off.

Take care everyone.

No comments: