Thursday, June 18, 2009

Father’s Day

Sunday is father’s day. We had our mini-celebration last night as my wife and daughter will not be here with me on Sunday. It felt good. My daughter made me a to-die-for card (I won’t share the details). They gave me 8 sleeves of Titleist golf balls (which I need as I go through balls like others go through fill-in-the-blank) and a golf GPS device which I wanted (not needed). After what seems like a very long time away from the course, I started back up in earnest a month ago. My typical game from the men’s tees is currently 100 – 110. I did shoot a 94 last week. It was a bit of a fluke. It was also not too far off my game from my pre-cancer days. Anyway, back to father’s day. Someone asked me yesterday what drove me to put all this effort into staying alive. I said there were a few factors, but the biggest was wanting to see and help shepherd my daughter grow up. She’s a teenager and has been quite trying at times in the past 6 months. Her card was a joyful reminder as to why I’m glad that I’m still here.

On the health front, I’m stable. I began a new exercise routine a month ago and it is helping with body tone and stamina. This coming Wednesday I go back to the cancer center for a CT of my head & neck area and a clinic visit with my oncologist. My anxiety level is high. It’s not that I think something is definitely wrong, it’s more the unknown and not-knowing that rattles me. It will take about a week to get all the results from that visit. So, unless there is news before then or the urge hits me to write again sooner, please look for an update towards the end of June.

To all you fathers out there, Happy Father’s Day.

Take care and good health to you all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ed!

Enjoyed your Father's Day report. I'll be wishing you good thoughts through the next few weeks with your scans.

Hot here in Pensacola.....breeze off the bay at least.

John

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work at your exercising and golf. Good things will follow. We're working on it. It was great meeting with you. Thanks so much for visiting us.
Susanne