Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Next Chemo Cycle Begins Tomorrow

It's that time of the month again. Tomorrow I begin chemo cycle 6. It will be followed by more chemo a week from tomorrow, then a week off. I've had this drug twice now. The ill effects kick in within a few hours and their intensity lasts for about 48 hours (headache, nauseous, feeling crappy). After that the effects dissipate over the next 48 - 72 hours. About in time for the next treatment. The past week+ has been good. I've gotten in some exercise, seen a lot of friends, and have even put on a few needed pounds. Given where I am physically and mentally, there is nothing more that I could ask for. I read or heard a slogan that pretty much sums up the life of a cancer victim recently, maybe some of you have already heard it. Slash, Burn, and poison. In non-slang terms, that is surgery, radiation, and chemo. Some people talk about the gift that cancer brings you. I don't really buy into that notion. I think that cancer can teach you some valuable life lessons, but referring to them as gifts is a bit of a stretch for me. I have no idea if this current chemo treatment is working. My next scans will be done in mid-September. I dislike the unknown, so I'm looking forward to the scans. When I see my chemo doctor tomorrow I'll ask if there is any value in moving them up to early September. These scans are expensive and once again I am thankful that my insurance company has been relatively good about the cost of my treatment, at least so far. Thanks for keeping up with my doings. Take care everyone.

No comments: