Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Getting Ready for my MD Anderson Visit Tommorow

I go to MD Anderson cancer center once a week on Wednesdays. I dread going, but know it is the lesser of the two evils. I'll drive 1+ hour in traffic, park in a garage which reinforces the notion that cancer is big business (1000s of cars), give a blood sample (to ensure I'm still healthy enough to receive chemo), visit with my chemo doctor (great guy, great team -- I have left names out of this blog intentionally for a number of reasons, but if you want names or to discuss your treatment/situation, I'm willing and available), then will receive my 4 hour chemo treatment (4 pre-chemo drugs to reduce side effects followed by PACLItaxel and CARBOplatin), then a visit with my radiation doctor. I haven't received radiation in almost two years, but wanted to update him in person as to my current condition. In mid-June 2007 my three primary doctors (chemo, surgeon, and raditation) will meet as a team to discuss my case and the next course of action. I would like all three to be personally up to date with my current situation when having this discussion and making their recommendations. From start to finish it will be 8 to 10 hours. I have to prepare myself mentally for these days. I don't expect to learn much tomorrow, these visits are primarily follow up and monitoring. My next big learning event will be post new scans in mid June.

I'm feeling relatively well today. The negative side effects form last week's chemo usually begin 24 - 36 hours after treatment and last for 2 - 4 days. The side effects are cumulative, so as I get further into each cycle, they last longer. I'm two weeks into a six week cycle right now.

I plan to spend the day reading, maybe a little pottery, following the market, and working around the logistics of eating and daily medicine intake.

2 comments:

k&j said...

our prayers and thoughts are with you...kathie and jay

Pete said...

Your blog is a very efficient method for me to stay informed of your situation. I appreciate your efforts and will be an avid reader.