Thursday, September 27, 2007

Great News, yes... but

There is no new news to share since my last posting. I've decided to make this post more like a public service announcement. With cancer, there is always a "but." Yes, my CT scan came up as negative for any evidence of disease. I've read all of your e-mails and comments and the good wishes sent my way. I truly appreciate each and every one of them, more so than you probably realize. As I've thought about this over the past 48 hours, I couldn't have gotten any better news. Yet (that’s the “but”), I'm still skeptical. Maybe it's a defense mechanism, maybe it's the realism in me. I've gotten good news like this before, only to be disappointed with a recurrence. The only real answer in my mind is time. Doctors begin to feel good at two years if there is no recurrence; they consider you cured at five years without a recurrence. Each scan taken going forward that is clean of disease will build on the great news that was started this week. I haven't come up with my long term plan, that too will take some time. For right now, I’m going to rebuild my stamina from the chemo and enjoy the respite.

I shared with you a story on Randy Pausch a week or two ago. He is the Professor at Carnegie-Mellon University with cancer who provided his, "Final Speech." There was a follow up article in the Wall Street Journal today. For those of you that are interested, here's the link.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119084081673940375.html

Stay well everyone.

No comments: