Sunday, September 23, 2007

Scan and Exam on Monday

It’s been a bit of a nerve racking few days. On Friday afternoon a new small lump appeared on my face. It wasn’t there Wednesday during my clinic visit with my chemo doctor. Like a noise in your car that isn’t there when you bring your auto in for repair. It’s about the size of a dime, although not round, and about a quarter inch think. It is right in front of my left earlobe. It could be nothing, it could be a small malignant tumor that will grow in size, or it could be something in between. My guess is that it is something and that something isn’t good. My disease has certainly impacted my optimism. Actually, I never really thought of myself as a true optimist, but more as a realist who tried to make the best of each situation.

I have a CT scan (not a PET scan as I had written a few days ago) of my head and neck areas and an X-ray early Monday morning. By the time most of you read this, I’ll probably have those behind me. I’m planning to stop in to see my doctor tomorrow after my scan/X-ray so that he can see this new growth and maybe put it into perspective when he gets the scan results in a day of two. Speaking of scan results, they're rarely ever definitive. There is usually a fair amount of qualitative assessment, at least that's my experience. So, while I may be in scan limbo today, it's possible, or probable that I'll be in post scan limbo once the results are in. Given this new lump, maybe that's the best I can hope for right now.

If it wasn’t for this latest development, I’d be feeling pretty good. I’m regaining my energy and feeling part way human after 9 months of chemo. The market is up and the Steelers are one of 4 NFL teams that are 3 and 0. I may have some decisions to make in the next few days. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for the best.

By the way, I haven’t said this in awhile, but for all those that are keeping up with me via my blog and sending their wishes and e-mails my way, Thank you.

Take care everyone. Enjoy the start of a brand new week.

1 comment:

justme519 said...

Dear Ed, I was glad to read on Leroy's blog that your appts. went smoothly. At least up until waiting for the Dr. I'm real sorry to hear a new bump has come up. You do seem to be A REAL fighter as you said. I follow your fight regularly and I am completly humbled by your strength. I pray for your healing daily. Let us know what you've found out when your up to it.